Your road, and mine, to the past

Monday, April 17, 2006

People, places and Palaces




















An old man just concluded a talk with his friends by the road and prepares to set out to wherever that is he goes. I asked him if I could take a photo of him, but he didn't hear me from across the road. I clicked anyway. Cyclist
AVN Telecom, somewhere between Neyveli and Gangaikonda Cholapuram. STD. ISD and PCO. But their best product was the sweetest water I've tasted. These two were sitting there, probably waiting for the next traveller to give them some business. I stopped, and even though I had a mobile phone (well, OK, a prepaid that was fast running out of talktime) I called home and assured my folks I was alright. AVN Telecom
4 little girls in a ruined temple outside of Kumbakkonam. Running around, chasing one another, following me as I went about shooting the ruins, asking me how my camera worked, why would I shoot this dead place and trying vainly to answer my questions about the age of the temple. I asked them if they would like their photos taken. Immediately, they stop prancing about and gathered themselves into this tight knot. Eyes, sparkling. Faces, bright
In Darasuram, the ASI has cleared a huge area outside of the main temple and put up lawns and flower beds and the like. They also have fences to keep out dogs, cats and goats. This guy cycles up to a fence, vaults over the ropes. He proceeds to light up the Suruttu (tamil for cigar) and makes himself comfortable in the shade of the tree. Cigar-dude
















Darasuram-View through the grill Darasuram-Vanishing Point
Darasuram-Pillars Darasuram-main-structure

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos CG. And I liked your writing too.

I find it difficult to get time for blogging. Flickr soaks up all teh time I have.

4:53 AM

 
Blogger Ravages/CC said...

Thanks Pandiyan

4:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened to read your blog and i found it really cool... i love travelling though i havent travelled much and travellogues though i don read a lot.. "Darjeeling" by RK Lakshman, which i read in school is still my favourite.. but that was a place which i have never visited.. readin ur blog about the places where i have been, especially trichy and the beautiful pictures aroun tanjavur makes me feel really good...
Great work!!
Cheers!

11:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't have anything to say recently. Today was a total loss, but it's not important. Not much on my mind to speak of, but that's how it is. I've just been letting everything happen without me. I can't be bothered with anything recently.
- nh45.blogspot.com 1
spaghetti alla carbonara

10:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home